The selection of high quality planting material which is optimally adapted to the surrounding conditions is a decisive but often underestimated factor in the wine production process.
European grapevine producers constantly endeavour to offer winegrowers officially controlled and certified vine plants of all required vine varieties and of the very highest quality.
The grapevine is the essential basis for the quality of the future wine.
In order to co-ordinate activities better, grapevine producers are organized in national professional associations in most of the wine-growing countries
The activities of the IRV-CIP aim to
- enhance the development of grapevine grafting in the service of viticulture
- facilitate the exchange of information and contacts between grapevine nurseries in different European wine-growing regions
- represent the interests of grapevine nurseries in developing legal standards at an international level.
Furthermore, the organization undertakes
- co-ordination of activities of the national professional associations
- enhancement of agronomic research in the field of propagation of vines and seedlings as well as breeding with regard to varieties and the health status of the propagation material
- exchange of specialist knowledge and useful information on grapevine grafting and viticulture
- harmonization of marketing procedures and the exchange of statistical information on rootstocks, scions and vine planting material
- strengthening of contacts between the sectors of grapevine grafting, enology and viticultural politics in a national and international context
- representation of the interests of grapevine nurseries in developing legal standards at an international level.
PAST OFFICIAL ACTIVITIES
1996/97: Dialogue with the EU in a Working Group together with COPA/COGECA in the frame of amendment of the Directive 68/193 on the marketing of material for the vegetative propagation of the vine.
1999: first time participation of the IRV-CIP at a working group wine in the frame of COPA/COGECA.
2002: collaboration on expert level in preparation of the Directive 2002/11/EC – amendment of the Directive 68/193 on the marketing of material for the vegetative propagation of the vine and repealing Directive 74/649/EEC.
2007 IRV-CIP became extraordinary member of the OIV in Paris.
2013 and 2014: Resolutions concerning the EU project of a Regulation concerning propagation material „Better Regulation“
PRESENT OFFICIAL ACTIVITIES
2013-2014-2015: participation at COST/Action FA 1303 Horizon 2020, meetings in Valencia, Warsaw and Bordeaux, active work in the topic „Sustainable Control of Grapevine Trunk Diseas GTD“
2015: Position concerning Xylella fastidiosa
2016: Proposal concerning the fight against Grapevine Flavescence dorée (GFD)
September 2016: IRV-CIP is MEMBER ORGANISATION in Copa-Cogeca's Working Party of Wine